I am sure that you are a an ambitious, bright, and talented individual. We would like to think that’s all it takes to move up in the world, but, unfortunately it’s not. To keep moving up the power tree or corporate ladder you need to do more than the right things, you need to not do the wrong things.
Here are 5 things that will keep you stuck where your at… if they don’t get you fired.
1. Never say or write anything that you wouldn’t want the world to hear. You are a lot safer off assuming that everything that you say or write is on record somewhere and it can and will come back to haunt you.
2. Don’t grovel. Everyone is going to make mistakes, and when that happens it’s good to apologize. However, be sure you aren’t overdoing it. The best thing to do is to take responsibility and move on.
3. Don’t try to make an example out of your boss, or any boss for that matter. Sometimes you will make a point or have an “I told you so” moment with your boss, Don’t let that go to your head and don’t rub it in. Even if you win you lose in this situation.
4. Do not complain in the office. Save all of your frustrations for the eager ear waiting for you at home, or better yet just walk it off. No one wants to hear you complain, especially if they are dealing with the same things.
5. Never over promise or over commit. It makes sense that you would want to over deliver and work hard to get yourself that promotion, but choose your battles wisely. If you are strapped for time you shouldn’t commit to a project that is going to take up even more. Your boss will be more impressed with you getting your work done than you not getting an extra project done. What have YOU learned to never do in your office?