Ok, it was creepy when the line “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” popped up in The Shining, but it was true. Everyone needs to have a little fun. Without fun you are more likely to dread your job and burn out. I found a great article on Forbes called Eight Ways Goofing Off Can Make You More Productive and I couldn’t agree more. I think we could all use a little more fun in our lives, in and out of work. Here are a few great ways to have some fun while recharging your energy and your focus.
1. Take a walk around the block. Fresh air combined with a change of scene can boost productivity.
2. Take a nap. Some offices offer this as a perk. Closing your eyes for a 15-minute catnap can be hugely refreshing.
3. Chat with a colleague. Even if you only make small talk, a fresh perspective on your day can help you get a new perspective on the task at hand.
4. Run an errand. Like walking around the block, getting out of the office and taking care of business can give your mind a break and the exercise will get your blood flowing.
5. Brush your teeth. The symbolism of removing decay and plaque can be especially potent when you are feeling sluggish.
6. Spend ten minutes checking Facebook, Twitter or other social media sites. This is not as good for you as leaving your desk, but the mental distraction can offer a helpful break. Monitor your time however and don’t let yourself be distracted for more than five minutes.
7. Go to the gym. If your company has an exercise facility, take advantage.
8. Go out to lunch. Judging from the habits of my colleagues, lunch out of the office is a dying American habit. But a healthy meal and good conversation can be nourishing on multiple levels.