Improve Your Office Environment to Boost Employee Morale
Your employees spend roughly 1/3 of their lives at work. When their working environment is dark, dingy, and depressing, creativity is stifled and employee morale will be at an all-time low. If you’d like to create an environment where ideas flow freely and employees are excited to come to work every day, it’s time to update your office.
You wouldn’t expect a rock star to create outrageous music when they travel in an outdated, boring tour bus and practice in a dilapidated studio. So why would you expect your employees to reach their true rock star potential in a less-than-impressive environment?
If you don’t have a budget for an office re-do, you’ll have to get creative. Here are a few areas where you can make a big impact on your employees’ moods and morale.
Is your office filled with overhead fluorescent lighting? This has been proven to cause migraines in some and increase the pain from tension headaches. Ideally, you can replace overhead fluorescent lighting with LED bulbs. If this is not in the budget, provide desk and standing lamps with a warmer tone or invite employees to bring their own from home. Whenever possible, rely on natural light from windows
Traditional cubicles can be suffocating for some and hinder your employees’ ability to collaborate with one another. Consider removing cubicles to inspire the sharing of ideas and to give your employees the opportunity to breathe. This will also allow any natural light that’s available, to reach each workspace.
Are your employees sitting in uncomfortable chairs? Consider providing ergonomic furniture to improve their posture and limit the damage done by sitting for long hours at a time. Even better, offer your employees the option of standing desks.
The psychology of color has been studied for years, but no one needs a scientist to tell them that certain colors perk us up while others drag us down. If you’d like your employees to be happy, alert, and productive, consider repainting the space. High saturation colors (deeper rather than pale) are more stimulating to the senses. The actual color you choose depends on your industry and your goals.
- Blue is known to be a mind-stimulating color and works well paired with orange to wake up the emotions. This is good for an analytical industry like accounting.
- Yellow works well for creative types as it improves optimism and lifts the spirits.
- Green is good to encourage balance and calm.
- Red is great to improve physical strength.
People are drawn to nature and thrive when elements from the outside world are brought inside. Adding plants and greenery to your office is one of the best ways to do this. Plants that flourish in an office environment include:
- Aloe Vera
- Snake plants
Some plants can also improve the quality of the air, removing toxins. If you’d like your plants to do double duty as air filters, consider:
- Spider plants
- English Ivy
- Dragon Tree
- Peace Lily
Office supplies can be bland and boring. If you’d like to spruce up your employees’ experience in the office, creative touches can go a long way. Here are a few ideas:
- Replace mouse pads displaying company logos with personalized mouse pads of family, furry friends, or favorite vacation locales.
- Find fun stationary for each employee. Maybe even something that represents their personality.
- Dedicate a wall to employees and invite them to contribute meaningful photos that communicate who they are outside of work.
- Do you have any talented artists working with you? Ask them to create a mural for the team.
- Hang beautiful artwork throughout the office. Actually, while you’re at it, why not include some motivational quotes from the music world. Marvelless Mark® believes that real rock stars can be quite the motivators for your business rock stars.
If you want your team to produce rock star results, you have to give them a rock star environment. Some quick updates to your existing space can provide the boost they need to create greatness.
“Mediocrity is your greatest enemy. If you’re going to be in this business, don’t be afraid to go out on that limb as far as you can.” – Alice Cooper
Mark Kamp® aka Marvelless Mark® works with organizations who want their teams to achieve immediate rock star results. A Keynote Speaker/Entertainer/Author, Husband, Father, and child of God, his primary message, “Opportunity Rocks®” gives attendees a fresh new perspective on Sales, Marketing, and Employee Performance. Fun and engaging, Mark combines the success secrets of your favorite rock stars with just the right amount of entertainment to transform your employees into business rockstars. Learn more at www.OpportunityRocks.net.